Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Homemade Laundry Soap!

Trying to be more with the times and economical I decided to make my own laundry soap. I figured I am pretty crafty and if others can do it so can I! I only use the pot and spoon specifically for this mixture. I don't think it would cross contaminate anything but I don't want to risk it.

First up ingredients:



  • 1 bar of soap (any kind you want) (( I used Ivory for sensitive skin))
  • 1 cup of Borax
  • 1 cup of Arm & Hammer washing soda
  • A big pot that holds about 12 qts
  • A grater
  • A funnel
  • A long spoon
  • 2 empty gallon containers or jugs ( I have seen some use old milk jugs)

First you need to grate your bar of soap and put it into the pot


Fill up one of your gallon containers with water (I used hot water) and pour it in with the grated soap. Cook on med/high until soap dissolves.

Add the Borax and Washing soda.
Bring it to a boil.

(Here is Goob waiting for it to boil)

Turn off the heat. Add another gallon of water but make it cold. Stir it well!
Then pour one gallon of detergent into each container.

I needed help from my loving husband! The pot was slightly heavy and hot!


and Voila! You have 2 gallons of homemade laundry detergent! I use about 1/2 cup per load. It does not create many suds, but that is okay! It cleans great!!



At first the mixture will seem very watery. Give it about 24 hours to thicken up. If for some reason it is too thick next time use 1/2 bar of soap instead of a full bar.

I bought my containers at Family Dollar for $2.00 each.
I choose these particular ones because they have a nifty little pour spout on the top!

So here is the math: Each batch makes 2 gallons of soap. So that would be 32 loads per gallon using the 1/2 cup per load and 64 loads per recipe!

The bar of soap (3 pack) cost $1.17
The Borax cost $3.19
The Washing soda was $2.40

Each bar of soap makes 1 batch = 39 cents per batch
Each box of borax makes about 9 batches = 35 cents per batch
Each box of washing soda makes about 7 batches = 34 cents per batch

So the grand total for 2 gallons of laundry soap or each batch is ** $1.08 **

I don't care who you are you cannot beat that price!

I was very grateful to learn this recipe and I got it from two sources.
and also the Duggars make one that is similar

If you have any questions feel free to ask!

No comments:

Post a Comment